Water softeners are used to reduce the harmful properties of hard water. In general, water softeners come in four types: salt-free water softeners, salt-based water softeners, reverse osmosis water softeners, and magnetic water softeners.
While it is true that we greatly benefit from hard water, it presents various issues such as accumulation of magnesium, calcium, and other metal cations in found in appliances such as water heaters and plumbing pipes. Cleaning hard water residue does not come cheap so it is important that you do your research before you invest in a water softener system. One way to do this is by reading different water softener reviews.
Naturally, manufacturers of water softeners will say that their product is the best among the rest so they can sell their product. However, you should be aware that not all water softener types may be ideal for your specific needs. The good thing about water softener reviews (considering that you read reviews on reputable review sites) is that you will acquire information on specific water softener systems and their general user rating. Below are some tips on reading water softener reviews.
- Determine the product’s control valve type, system, and brand to ensure that it is from a reputable manufacturer. A control valve is used for measuring your usage of water and identifying when regeneration of the resin bed is required. It is the priciest water softener component and is very costly to replace.
- Check to see if installation and troubleshooting of the water softener system you’re eyeing is easily done and if these can be done by the supplier free of charge or at a cost. If at a cost, check how much.
- Since regeneration is an important operation of water softeners, determine your specific requirements first. Generally, you can opt for demand-based softeners or those that come with timers.
- Water softener reviews also often include commentaries on a manufacturer’s warranties and parts replacement. In general, a trusty water softener should last you 10 years before needing drastic repairs.
- Always be wary of ‘advanced technology’ claims. More often than not, advanced systems that use computerized components can be very costly to maintain or replace. For the average homeowners, it is best to keep it simple whenever possible.
In the event that you cannot find water softener reviews on a particular unit you are considering purchasing, don’t hesitate to ask around. Most reputable review sites offer chat support or a comment page where you can interact with other users of water softeners.